Wednesday, January 7, 2009

School Talk

Okay, so I have had something tearing at my heart a little and I just feel better getting it out!. Before the Christmas Break, we had a celebration of "Stellar Students" at school. This means that all the teachers were able to choose 1 outstanding student from their class to have lunch with the Principal. They also each get to eat a kid meal from McDonald's. It has really turned into a fun reward for students. Well, one of the Kindergarten students was able to stay for this reward and when it was over they left the school alone. It was really quite a scary situation. The student ended up walking home alone across 200 N. which is a busy street. So although this wasn't my student, it was a Kindergartner, and I love the family of this student. Looking through a Parent's eyes, all of the most devastating things race through your mind when you show up at school and your child is no where to be found. I have seen this happen several times. Most of the time the child ends up going to a friends house or something- and every single time that I know of here in Cedar- it has always turned out for the best.

I get a pit in my stomach every time something like this happens. As an educator and someone who has worked in the school, I know that especially at North Elem., where I work, every single person that works there- is there to be an advocate for kids. The work that goes on behind the scenes is unmeasurable, especially by those who are not familiar with the "insides" (so to speak.) When accidents happen, it always falls to the educator, school, and school district. This is sad because most of the times Parents or Guardians jump and act hastily toward those who were honestly innocent to the accident that occurred. I know this, because I have been jumped on before as a Teacher. It feels like a slap in the face to all the reward programs, hard work we do to help students succeed. Then you know people will talk and say things like, "What was the school thinking?" When really, what we were thinking was, 'lets celebrate the hard working students at our school!'

If I could say anything to parents, I would say, " Remember that we are all here to help your child succeed, and remember we are people and we have feelings. When something frustrates, concerns, or upsets you, lets talk about it because it will take all of us working together to help your child succeed."

Accidents happen in life, it is what can make us stronger, I myself, as a Parent, Teacher, Aunt, Wife, Sister, Daughter, and Friend, will make mistakes- it will sting for a while, but as I long I learn from it, and improve, I will grow. As all of the above mentioned roles that I play in my life, I hope that I will remember this when people make mistakes. Remember the golden rule, "Treat others as you would want to be treated." Mistakes happen- forgive, forget, and let it go- I hope I remember this in the future for myself!

3 comments:

Nita said...

Amen to that, I get so tired of people that I work with telling me what an easy job Stan has. They have no idea of all of the extra work or caring that goes into teaching. I tell everyone all of the time. I ask them if they want to try and teach 30 odr modre kids. All of them say no way. You are truly appreciated by me.

Bon said...

I am glad to read your post and hear you share about what does go on behind the scenes. I agree that North is a amazing school with a principal and teachers who really love and support our kids.

It is hard when things like this happen. You do feel like your heart is literally being torn out of your chest. Especially when it is your child.

But I do feel like the matter was resolved very well. I would hate to see such a good program being taken away when it is a good way to show the students how well they are doing!

It is true also, that many don't forgive, luckily, in light of all that happened or could have happened. We are not angry in any way. We still love and support North Elementary in all they do for our children's education. And we love teachers like you who also make the school so great!!!

teachreal said...

Thanks, Nat!! I am just wondering when was the last time all of us thanked a teacher for all of the 24/7-12 months a year--work teachers do for their students--not only at school, but the endless hours of prep work that is done at home, too. I also am concerned about the seemingly disappearing role of parents in assuming responsibilty for their children's education--like helping their children with homework and reading with them every night (including Summers, too!)and truly showing support for their schools by helping in the classroom (even if it means hiring a babysitter once a week for an hour!) Education is not the sole responsibility of the teacher--it should be supported as a team effort between home and school. Maybe if more parents would come and volunteer their time in the classroom and PTA we could join in a partnership of supporting and communicating positive feedback about our local schools in our neighborhoods and communities. I like the saying, "Remember when you are pointing your finger at someone or something that they are 4 others pointing back at you!"